1-3 pages: $40
4+ pages: $40 + $2/page
Plus single-page query letter: Add $20
Synopsis critique is a very flexible service in which you can request a range of help with your book’s summary. It can be helpful in assessing your story from a bird’s-eye viewpoint, or in developing a new concept. I can also provide assistance with creating a clear outline of your story’s most vital major points for sales proposal materials.
Note that this is synopsis-only, not the same thing as evaluation of a full book proposal.
Query critique involves a time and knowledge commitment from me to you in which I write you up an explanation of what’s clear and unclear in your query; style, structure and etiquette points; and what to draw from in your story to write a strong summary paragraph. To add a query critique to your synopsis, please add $10 to your total fee.
WHEN THIS IS USEFUL:
- When beginning to develop a new idea — before your first draft
- As an assessment tool for self-editing after your first draft
- Contest entry preparation — where your entry will consist of sample chapters plus synopsis
- When preparing to sell a completed manuscript or seek agent representation
WHAT TO EXPECT:
You can request whatever kind of assistance is most useful to you:
- Feedback on plot, character, thematic, structural and conceptual considerations
- Creative guidance: A sounding board for your ideas
- Brainstorming assistance: Questions to help you develop your concept
- Feedback on clear vs. unclear expression of the story idea — arc, structure
- How to summarize for clarity and relevance within a limited space of 1-2 pages
Depending on your needs, I’ll reply with a general evaluation letter or with inline support comments on the synopsis itself.